About This Blog

This blog is an opportunity for anyone interested to journey with me through the workbook Experiencing God. I have simply studied it and made it's truths personal. I really want a fresh and a new anointing of God, and I want the same for you!

Friday, September 30, 2011

God-Centered Living


Friday, September 30, 2011
God-Centered Living
To know and do God’s will, you must deny self and return to A God-centered life.
Part of the book of Genesis is the record of God’s accomplishing His purposes through Abraham.  It is not the record of Abraham’s walk with God.  The focus of the Bible is God.  The essence of sin is a shift from God-centeredness to self-centeredness.  The essence of salvation is denying self instead of affirming self.  We must deny ourselves and return to God-centeredness in our lives.  Then God has us in a place where He will accomplish His eternal purposes through me.
This is a hard concept for me.  Not so much the denying of myself but the not affirming myself.  I think it’s because I have spent so many years in therapy learning how to affirm myself.  I don’t disagree with this I just don’t understand the line between affirming myself and not putting myself down (I don’t even know if this makes any sense, my head is still working this out).


A Self-Centered Life
A God-Centered Life
  • Is focused on self
  • Is proud of self and self’s accomplishments
  • Is self-confident
  • Depends of self and abilities
  • Affirms self
  • Seeks to be accepted to the world and its ways
  • Looks at circumstances from a human perspective
  • Chooses selfish and ordinary living.

  • Places confidence in God
  • Depends on God and His ability and provision
  • Focuses on God and His activity
  • Is humble before God
  • ·        Denies self
  • Seeks first the kingdom of God and His righteousness
  • Seeks God’s perspective in every circumstances
  • Chooses holy and godly living to know and do God’s will, you must deny self and return to a God-centered life.


Above I have highlighted in yellow the things I am, in green, where I am gaining understanding and in red where I still have a way to go before I am living a God centered life.  As I can see from examining this list I still have a way to go.

My definition of:
Self-centered: When I look to myself and my experiences to assess a situation and decide how to act.  It is also focusing on what    John C. Mac Iver has done instead of what God has done for and through me.
God-centered:  Is looking to God and His purposes and will and trying to see things from a God perspective and then decide how to act.

Verse describing God-centeredness:
2 Chronicles 14:11: 11 Then Asa called to the LORD his God and said, "LORD, there is no one like you to help the powerless against the mighty. Help us, O LORD our God, for we rely on you, and in your name we have come against this vast army. O LORD, you are our God; do not let man prevail against you."
These passages are about the same guy!

Verses describing Self-centeredness:

2 Chronicles 16:1-3:  1 In the thirty-sixth year of Asa's reign Baasha king of Israel went up against Judah and fortified Ramah to prevent anyone from leaving or entering the territory of Asa king of Judah. 2 Asa then took the silver and gold out of the treasuries of the LORD's temple and of his own palace and sent it to Ben-Hadad king of Aram, who was ruling in Damascus. 3 "Let there be a treaty between me and you," he said, "as there was between my father and your father. See, I am sending you silver and gold. Now break your treaty with Baasha king of Israel so he will withdraw from me."


I like these two passages because they describe me and how I react to situations.  My usual way of reacting has been to rely on myself and my experiences to guide me.  However, increasingly I am finding myself relying on God and being more kingdom minded, and reminding myself of the verse Jeremiah 19:11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.  When things seem like they are going to be really bad for me and may even change the life I now so enjoy, I remember that I have given it all over to God and I can do this with confidence because I believe Jeremiah 19:11!

Self-centeredness is a subtle trap because it makes sense from a human perspective.  Like King Asa, I can avoid it at one time and fall into its trap at another.  God-centeredness requires the daily death of John C. Mac Iver and submission to God.

John 12:24-25: 24 I tell you the truth, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds. 25 The man who loves his life will lose it, while the man who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life.

I guess I’m going to keep my life for eternity! 

To live a God-centered life, I must focus my life on God’s purposes, not my own plans.  I must seek to view situations from God’s perspective rather than from my own distorted human outlook.  When God starts to do something in the world, He takes the initiative to reveal His will to people. For some divine reason He has chosen to involve His people in accomplishing His purposes.
Let’s use Noah as an example.  What about his plans to serve God?  They would not make much sense in light of the coming destruction, would they?  Noah was not calling God in to help him accomplish what he was dreaming of doing for God.  God never asks people to dream up something to do for Him.  We do not sit down and dream what we want to do for God and then call God in to help us accomplish it.  The pattern in Scripture is that we submit ourselves to God.  Then God shows us what He is about to do, or we watch to see what God is already doing around us and join him.

What was the most meaningful statement or Scripture I read today?:
We do not sit down and dream what we want to do for God and then call God in to help us accomplish it.

My Prayer is:
Daddy, I realize that you do not want me to dream up my own plans for what I want to do for you.  Instead you want me to look to You for what You are already doing or wait for You to tell me what You want.  Please help me to do that and to stop making my own way.  In Jesus’ Name I pray, Amen.

What does God want me to do in response to today’s study?
I believe God wants me to wait.

The Memory verse for this unit is:
“Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the LORD our God.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

The doctor told me that I had multiple ulcers and wanted to know where all my stress was coming from. I told him I have multiple relatives.
-John C. Mac Iver